Welcome to the Bursts of Aloha Beanie pattern, this is a sister pattern to the Bursts of Aloha Ear Warmer and Cowl Set! This is a special pattern as it’s gone through many revisions over the last two years. I’m so excited to finally release it for you to make and in four sizes. This pattern can easily be converted to a messy bun beanie as well. I love the texture and fit of this beanie and it’s sure to capture everyone’s attention.
The yarn I used in this pattern is hand-dyed by my from Katie at A Handmade Journey in her colorway Beach Bum. You can follow her on her Instagram account @ahandmadejourney to get updates on when she has pre-orders for yarn of contact her to request a custom dye order.
The special stitch in this pattern is a jasmine stitch and I’ve included a video as well as links to help learn this stitch. With a little practice and patience, you can create this beautiful texture.
I hope you love this fun pattern! Please share with me on social media. You can follow me on Instagram HERE and on Facebook HERE! Tag me @pinkplumeriamaui and use #pinkplumeriamaui. If you like this pattern you make like these FREE patterns: Kelly Ear Warmer, Busts of Aloha Ear Warmer and Cowl, Quick Crochet Beret.
- K/6.0 mm & J/6.0 mm Hook, I love my Clover Amours & Furls Odyssey
- Worsted Weight #4 yarn
- Scissors, I love my Clover Patchwork
- Tapestry Needle, I love my Clover set
Adult, Child (5-10 years), Toddler (2-4 years), Baby (6-18 mo)
4 x 4 inches = 6 puffs of Jasmine Stitch x 6 Rows of Jasmine Stitch. See Video Link in Notes.
ch = chain
puff stitch = puff stitch with 2 yarn overs (see Notes)
sc = single crochet
BPsc = back post single crochet
YO = yarn over
sl st = slip stitch
- Ch 1 doesn’t count as a stitch in sc rows.
- I highly recommend watching the video I made for Jasmine Star Stitch located HERE.
- I also made a step by step photo tutorial for Jasmine Star Stitch located HERE.
- This pattern includes a special stitch, the jasmine stitch which includes the puff stitch with 2 yarn overs. Puff stitch with 2 yarn overs is yarn over, insert hook into the stitch where you are creating the puff stitch, yarn over and draw through. You will have 3 loops on your hook. Repeat one more time, you will have 5 loops on your hook.
- The construction of beanie is made by creating a rectangle first, slip stitching it together, adding brim, single crocheting in the round of top, and then sewing top closed.
- This pattern can be turned into a messy bun pattern by sc2tog or sc, sc2tog on the top until the desired width of the opening is created.
- Sizes listed as Adult (Child, Toddler, Baby).
- Body of Beanie is done in K/6.5 mm and the border in J/6.0 mm. If you’re a tight crocheter, you may need to do the border in a K/6.5 mm hook.
- Completed rectangle before join for Adult is 20 inches x 6.75 inches, Child is 19 inches x 6.75 inches, Toddler is 18 inches x 6.25 inches, and Baby is 17 inches x 6 inches.
Adult (Child, Toddler, Baby) Body:
Row 1: With K/6.5 mm hook, ch 2, going into first chain, *puff stitch with 2 YO, YO and pinch yarn before inserting through all loops. Pull yarn through all loops and going back where you are pinching yarn insert hook, pull yarn through. YO and sc.* This is creating one petal of the Jasmine Stitch. Repeat * to * 30 (28, 26, 25) times. You will have 31 (29, 27, 26) single petals. The last puff stitch you made will be the turning petal on row 2.
Row 2: You will now be starting the repeating sequence of the Jasmine Stitch by working back onto petals you just created. *Going into top of the petal you just made, puff stitch, going into the space in petal before puff stitch, and going into space in petal before that petal puff stitch. You will have a total of 13 loops on your hook. YO and pinch yarn before inserting through all loops. Pull yarn through all loops and going back where you are pinching yarn insert hook, pull yarn through. YO and sc.* Repeat * to * to end of row. On the last puff, you go into the 1st ch-1 you worked into in at the very beginning. You will have 30 (28, 26, 25) clusters. Turn work.
Row 3-11 (11, 10, 9): Ch 1, going into the last sc you made, puff stitch, YO and pinch yarn before inserting through all loops. Pull yarn through all loops and going back where you are pinching yarn insert hook, pull yarn through. YO and pull through both loops on your hook, sc. *Going into top of the petal you just made, puff stitch, going into the space in petal before puff stitch, and going into space in petal before that petal puff stitch. YO and pinch yarn before inserting through all loops. Pull yarn through all loops and going back where you are pinching yarn insert hook, pull yarn through. YO and, sc.* Repeat * to * to end of row. You will have 30 (28, 26, 25) clusters. Turn work.
After Row 11 (11, 10, 9) you will join ends of the rectangle you just made. Place ends together aligning sc spaces. Sl st through both sc space, *ch, sl st though both sc spaces*. Repeat * to * and on last sl st (fasten off if you’re changing color for border) turn work with right side out. Continue to brim.
Switch to J/6.0 mm hook, if youre’ a tight crocheter you may need to use a K/6.5 mm hook.
Row 1: With J/6.0 mm hook, ch 1, sc 2 in sc space, *sc 3 in the next sc space*. Repeat * to *. Sc in 1st sc space and sl st to 1st sc. (90, 84, 78, 75 sc)
Row 2: Ch 1, BPsc and sl st to 1st BPsc. (90, 84, 78, 75 sc)
Row 3-4 (4, 4, 3): Repeat Row 2.
Row 5 (5, 5, 4): Ch 1, sc and sl st to 1st sc. Fasten off a tail to sew in. (90, 84, 78, 75 sc)
Turn over beanie to finish top.
Row 1: With J/6.0 mm hook, ch 1, sc 1 in sc space, *sc 2 in the next sc space*. Repeat * to *. Sc in 1st sc space and sl st to 1st sc. (60, 56, 52, 50 sc)
Row 2: Ch 1, sc2tog and sl st to 1st sc2tog. Fasten off a long tail to close top. (30, 28, 26, 25 sc)
Fasten off a tail to close the top and turn inside out. With tapestry needle sew in and out of the top of the last row, pull circle closed and secure. You can also put a faux fur pom at this time too. Sew in all loose ends!
You can find an affordable PDF version on Etsy HERE or on Ravelry HERE. You can also Pin it for later HERE!
Please note, some of these links are affiliate link, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission. This helps support the blog and allows me to continue to make free content. I only recommend products that I use and love. Thank you for your support. You can read my full disclosure.
**You can NOT copy pattern (or part of a pattern) and publish it on another website or other publication. Instead, you can publish a link to the pattern. You may sell products made from this pattern but not the pattern. I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy or reproduce pictures. When in doubt ask me, [email protected].**