Welcome to Jo’s Afghan Crochet Pattern! A quick and relaxing blanket that was inspired by Grey’s Anatomy’s charter Jo. In Season 16 of Grey’s Anatomy, you see Jo in her apartment on her couch with a beautiful afghan behind her. I paused, stared, and fell in love with the eye-catching striping and bright colors. I choose Lion Brand’s Homespun Yarn as it’s bulky and is a create blanket quickly. You can find a range of color choices of Homespun yarn HERE.
I hope you love this fun and quick pattern! Please share with me on social media. You can follow me on Instagram HERE and on Facebook HERE! Tag me @pinkplumeriamaui and use #pinkplumeriamaui. If you like this project, you can check these other free patterns: Hoku Summer Cardigan, Cooler Days Scarf & Alani Tank.
- L-11 (8mm) Hook, I love my Clover Amour
- Bulky Weight, #5 yarn, Lion Brand® Homespun, 98% Acrylic, 2% Polyester, 6oz/170g, 185y/169m
- Ambrosia 4 balls (A)
- Golden 4 balls (B)
- Barrington 4 balls (C)
- Scissors, I love my Clover Patchwork
- Tapestry Needle, I love my Clover set
- Tape Measure
About 56 x 60 in. (142 x 152 cm) Includes body of blanket plus 1” for border on length & width
10 sts x 8 rows = about 4.5 in. X 4.5 in. (11.5 x 11.5 cm) over row 1 and row 2 repeated.
- ch = chain
- ehdc = extended half double crochet
- esc = extended single crochet
- hdc = half double crochet
- RS = right side
- sc = single crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- yo = yarn over
- EHDC (extended half double crochet) – YO, insert hook into stitch, YO, pull loop up, YO, pull through 1 loop, YO and pull through all 3 loops. ·
- ESC (extended single crochet) – insert hook into stitch, YO, pull loop up, YO, pull through 1 loop, YO and pull through 2 loops.
- Afghan is worked in rows back and forth with 3 colors of yarn to create stripes and a border is added at the end worked in the round.
- Loosely work chain beginning to accommodate special stitches.
- At the beginning of row, ch 1 doesn’t count as a stitch.
- To change color, work last sts of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops to complete the stitch. Fasten off old color.
With A, ch 121 loosely.
Row 1: (RS) Ehdc in 2nd chain from hook and each chain to end, turn – you’ll have 120 sts.
Row 2: Ch 1, esc in each stitch across, turn – 120 sts.
Row 3: Ch 1, ehdc in each stitch across, turn – 120 sts.
Row 4: Ch 1, esc in each stitch across and change to B, turn – 120 sts.
Row 5-8: Repeat Row 3-4, change to C.
Row 9-12: Repeat Row 3-4, change to A.
Row 13-16: Repeat Row 3-4, change to C.
Row 17-20: Repeat Row 3-4, change to B.
Row 21-24: Repeat Row 3-4, change to A.
Row 25-96: Repeat Row 1-24 three times.
Row 97-100: Repeat Row 1-4, change to color C.
You will be working in the round.
Round 1: Ch 1 (does not count as a st), *hdc in each stitch across short end, (2hdc, ch 1, 2hdc) in corner, hdc evenly on long side, (2hdc, ch 1, 2hdc) in corner*. Rep from * to * to work across remaining short and long side. Sl st to 1sthdc.
Round 2: Ch 1 (does not count as a st), *sc in each stitch across short end, (2sc, ch 1, 2sc) in corner, sc in each st on long side, (2sc, ch 1, 2sc) in corner*. Rep from * to * to work across remaining short and long side, sc in any remaining sts and sl st to 1st sc.
Weave in yarn ends.
Pin it for later HERE!
Please note, some of these links are affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission. This helps support the blog and allows me to continue to make free content. I only recommend products that I use and love. Thank you for your support. You can read my full disclosure.
**You can NOT copy pattern (or part of a pattern) and publish it on another website or other publication. Instead, you can publish a link to the pattern. You may sell products made from this pattern but not the pattern. I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy or reproduce pictures. When in doubt ask me, [email protected].**