Welcome to the Serene Tides Baby Blanket Pattern! You can find the kit available at Lion Brand Yarn. This is a free pattern and the low-cost PDF if available in my Shop, on Etsy and Ravelry.
This blanket was inspired by the tides of the ocean at sunset, the reflection of the sky changing colors highlights the tidepools and sand. I also love a good classic crocheted ripple, it’s a classic stitch that always is a head-turner. In combining my inspiration with this classic crochet stitch the Serene Tides Baby Blanket was designed. And for your convenience, I have included how to make afghan size as well!
I hope you love this fun and quick pattern! Please share with me on social media. You can follow me on Instagram HERE and on Facebook HERE! Tag me @pinkplumeriamaui and use #pinkplumeriamaui. If you like this project, you can check these other free patterns: Kelly Beanie, Hoku Summer Cardigan & Ku’uipo Scarf.
- H/5.0 mm Hook, I love my Furls Odyssey
- Worsted Weight, #4 yarn. For Baby Blanket I used 6 skeins of Lion Brand Yarn Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling, 100% Acrylic, 3.5oz/100g, 185yd/170m. 2 skeins of Frost (A), 2 skeins of Baby Pink (B), & 2 skeins of Prism (C). You will need 4 skeins each of A, B, C for Afghan.
- Scissors, I love my Clover Patchwork
- Tapestry Needle, I love my Clover set
- Tape Measure
- Baby Blanket: 30×39 in. (76x100cm)
- Afghan: 52.5×63 in. (134.5x160cm)
4”x4” (10x10cm) = 15 sts x 8 rows of pattern (1 row of sc, 1 row of varied sts, 6 rows of chevron ripple.
- ch = chain
- ch-sp = refer to chain or space previously made
- hdc = half double crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- sc = single crochet
- dc = double crochet
- dc2tog = double crochet 2 sts together
- rep = repeat
- sk = skip
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- Chevron ripple: ch 2 (counts as dc), dc, dc 4, dc2tog, dc2tog, dc 4, 2dc.
- Turning chains are noted in the pattern when they count as a st.
- When working chevron ripple, the last st is placed in top of turning ch.
- The pattern is written for baby blanket (afghan).
- The pattern is worked in 14 sts rep.
With C, Ch 99 (183).
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across – you will have 98 (182) sc in this row. Turn.
Row 2: Ch 2 (does not count as a st), *dc 2, hdc 2, sc 6, hdc 2, dc 2*. Rep from * to *. Fasten off. Turn & change to A.
Row 3-6: (Ch 2, dc) in first st counts as *2dc in next st, dc 4, dc2tog, dc2tog, dc 4, 2dc in next st; rep from * to * across, working last 2dc in top of turning ch. Fasten off. Turn & change to B.
Rep Rows 3-6 in color B and then color C. Continue to rep rows 3-6 for A, B, C for 70 (118) rows – you will end with B. Fasten off. Turn & change to C.
Next Row: Ch 1 (does not count as a st), *sc 3, hdc 2, dc 4, hdc 2, sc 3*. Rep from * to *, last sc is placed into top of turning ch – you will have 98 (182) sts. Turn.
Next Row: Ch 1 (does not count as a st), hdc in each st across. Do not fasten off. Turn.
Note: Border is worked in the round. With C,
Round 1: Ch 1 (does not count as a st), *work hdc in each st to corner, work (2hdc, ch 1, 2hdc) in each corner*. Rep from * to * and sl st to first hdc. Fasten off & change to A.
Round 2: Ch 1 (does not count as a st), *hdc in each st to corner, (2hdc, ch 1, 2hdc) in ch-1 sp*. Rep from * to * around, work hdc in any remaining sts to end, sl st to first hdc. Fasten off & change to B.
Round 3: Rep. round 2. Fasten off & change to C.Round 4: Ch 1 (does not count as a st), sc in each st to corner, (2sc, ch 1, 2sc) in ch-1 sp*. Rep from * to * around, work sc in any remaining sts to beginning, sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
Weave in ends.
You can find a Low -cost PDF version HERE or on Etsy & Ravelry. You can find the kit available at Lion Brand Yarn.
Please note, some of these links are affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission. This helps support the blog and allows me to continue to make free content. I only recommend products that I use and love. Thank you for your support. You can read my full disclosure.
**You can NOT copy pattern (or part of a pattern) and publish it on another website or other publication. Instead, you can publish a link to the pattern. You may sell products made from this pattern but not the pattern. I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy or reproduce pictures. When in doubt ask me, [email protected].**